What Are The Most Common Types Of Medical Malpractice Cases?
Do you believe that you are a victim of medical malpractice? The following article will provide some of the most common types of medical malpractice cases.
What is medical malpractice?
Medical malpractice is a term used to describe an occurrence where a hospital, physician, or other health care professional causes injury to a patient, either from negligence or omission.
What are some common types of medical malpractice cases?
The following are some common examples of medical malpractice cases:
Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis: Many medical malpractice cases often result from either misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis. A misdiagnosis can occur when a physician fails to do any of the following:
- Identify clinical signs and symptoms
- Order required medical testing or complete necessary follow-up procedures
- Refer the patient to the appropriate specialist
Failure to treat: A physician’s failure to treat a patient is a violation of that physician’s duty of care. Failure to treat can be exhibited in any of the following ways:
- Releasing a patient too early from the hospital
- Failing to provide necessary instructions for follow-up care
- Failing to order required medical tests
- Failing to consult a patient’s medical history before prescribing medication or treatment
Prescription drug errors: When health care providers make errors in prescribing drugs, it can be extremely detrimental to the health of the patient. These types of errors can include:
- Prescribing the wrong medication
- Prescribing the wrong dosage
- Failing to recognize potentially dangerous drug interactions
- Neglecting to recognize signs of drug abuse in a patient
Surgical or procedural errors: If a physician makes an error while conducting surgery, it can literally put the patient’s life at risk. Some various types of surgical errors include the following:
- Performing surgery on the wrong part of the body
- Performing surgery on the wrong patient
- Incidentally leaving surgical tools inside the patient
- Failing to adhere to proper surgical procedures before, during, and after the surgery
Childbirth injuries: Injuries that occur during childbirth as a result of a physician’s negligence can have devastating, long-lasting effects on a child. Some of these types of injuries that typically occur during the childbirth process can include:
- Providing substandard prenatal care
- Failing to provide a C-section when necessary
- Mishandling a baby during or after birth
- Improper use of forceps or using excessive force when removing a baby from the vaginal canal
Do You Have Questions About a Potential Medical Malpractice Claim? Contact Our Firm.
If you believe that you have been a victim of medical malpractice, The Musleh Law Firm wants to help you. Our experienced Ocala personal injury attorneys will work with you to establish a strong case and ensure that you receive proper compensation for any injuries you have suffered, as well as for any other damages caused by the physician’s malpractice.