Tired drivers can be a serious threat on Florida roads
When drivers are not able to fully focus on the task at hand, it can lead to an increased chance of a car accident. One of the reasons why some drivers have a difficult time safely operating their vehicles is because they are tired. Tired drivers are a serious threat to the safety and well-being of everyone on the road.
Florida readers may know there is a difference between driving while slightly sleepy and driving while too tired to think clearly. Exhausted drivers often show some of the same behaviors as drunk drivers, and they can cause serious accidents. If you suffered because of a driver who was too tired to safely operate a vehicle, you have options.
Sleepiness is a serious hazard
While most people know that driving while drunk or while under the influence of drugs is illegal and dangerous, most people fail to recognize the danger of driving while tired. Being tired while trying to drive can lead to the following:
- It can reduce a driver’s ability to react when there are dangers and hazards.
- Sleepiness can make it difficult for a driver to pay attention while driving.
- Being tired can make a driver less able to make good decisions while operating a vehicle.
Most people likely drive while sleepy from time to time. However, when a person has lower cognitive functions or is unable to make smart decisions behind the wheel, he or she must recognize that it is dangerous to drive. Any person could be too tired to drive, but the people most likely to drive while dangerously exhausted include the following:
- People who do shift work or work nights might drive drowsy.
- Individuals who do not get enough sleep regularly are likely to drive drowsy.
- People who have certain sleep disorders can be more tired.
- Individuals who take medications that may have drowsy effects probably should not drive.
Ultimately, each person is responsible for knowing when he or she is not able to drive safely because of exhaustion.
How can you fight back?
One way that you can fight back against drowsy driving is to hold liable drivers accountable when they cause you harm. If you suffered because of an accident caused by a negligent or reckless driver, you have the right to seek compensation through a personal injury claim.
While a civil claim cannot reverse what happened to you, it may allow you to recoup your financial losses, get the medical care you need and move forward after a harrowing car accident.