With another summer come and gone, many avid motorcycle riders may be approaching a time to place their bikes in storage. However, with warmer climates in most areas of Florida, you might be able to enjoy the luxury and freedom of using your bike as a primary means of travel year-round.
While riding a motorcycle can be exhilarating, it can also be somewhat dangerous, especially in areas of dense traffic. Since you likely place a great deal of importance on protecting your health, knowing the possible risks you may face as a biker could be imperative to keeping you safe.
Common causes of bike-related crashes
Unfortunately, a collision can take place at any given moment and under a multitude of circumstances. However, you might be able to prepare yourself for the open road by gaining an understanding of the most common hazards you might encounter on your bike, some of which include:
- Unexpected left-turn: One of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents pertains to an oncoming vehicle making a sudden left turn; reacting in time to avoid such a maneuver can be difficult.
- Rear-end collision: With motorcycles, what might otherwise be a minor fender-bender could have disastrous results, and rear-end accidents are a major concern for many avid bikers.
- Reckless drivers: Drivers who operate a vehicle at excessive speeds or swerve in and out of lanes frequently can place others nearby in danger, especially bikers.
- Distraction and impairment: Drunk and distracted driving are two of the most common causes of car accidents, and similar incidents can pose a significant threat to your health as a biker.
- Car doors: In areas with street-side parking, you might find it advisable to proceed with caution, as the sudden opening of a car door could send you crashing down to the pavement.
Regardless of how cautious you approach each driving scenario, reacting in time to avoid the negligent decisions of another driver can be nearly impossible at times. If another driver's actions or decisions leave you with serious injuries, you might be wondering what comes next.
The next steps
With motorcycle-related collisions, the chance of you suffering severe or permanent damage is ever-present. If another driver causes your accident, you may wish to exercise your right to pursue compensation, but the civil justice system can be challenging to navigate alone. You could choose to seek guidance from someone with experience in such intricate matters, and in doing so, you might become better prepared to pursue the restitution you deserve through a personal injury claim.