Musleh Law Firm
Free Initial Consultation No Attorney fees or costs unless recovery is made

Know how to collect for a workplace injury

If you've been injured on the job and it's serious enough to keep you out of work for a while, your next question is probably, "What do I do now?"

Somehow, you have to find a way to pay your medical expenses and bills. These are some of the most common options you may have:

Disability Insurance

If you're lucky, you'll have a disability insurance plan that kicks in almost immediately.

Disability insurance plans are usually purchased through your employer or through your insurance company and often have fairly relaxed rules about when they can be used. They often only cover a short period -- but that's often enough for other types of disability programs to kick in.

Workers' Compensation

If you're injured at work, you may be eligible for workers' compensation -- depending on the size of your company.

Workers' comp allows you to put in a claim for medical expenses and living costs without having to sue your boss. Since it's a no-fault system, you generally give up the right to sue your employer by taking workers' comp.

Filing a Lawsuit

There are always exceptions to every rule -- if your employer intentionally caused your injury through assault, fraud, battery or a number of other illegal tactics, you can sue your employer outside of the workers' comp system.

Similarly, if you aren't covered under workers' comp, suing your employer for your injuries may be the only real option you have in order to recover your financial losses.

You may also be entitled to file a third-party lawsuit if someone other than your employer is at fault for your on-the-job injury.

For example, if you were injured by a piece of machinery that fell apart after it was "repaired," you could potentially sue the repair company in addition to filing workers' comp.

If you've been injured at work, consider getting more information about workers' compensation or your other legal options today.

Source: FindLaw, "Workers' Compensation: Can I Sue My Employer Instead?," accessed Dec. 07, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Florida Justice Association
  • The Florida Bar 1950
  • Florida Workers' Advocates
  • Florida Trends Florida Legal Elite
We can help. email or call 352-484-0134 to schedule a free consultation today.
Review Us

Musleh Law Firm
907 SE 3rd Avenue
Ocala, FL 34471

Phone: 352-484-0134
Fax: (352) 732-5744
Ocala Law Office Map

Office image
Office map